Thursday, September 4, 2008

Other thoughts One Week 2

The PDA and cell phone have converged into the "smart Phone". Will the "Tablet PC" or "Hand-held"computers converge into a voice activated, web-cam enabled, Internet surfing, VoIP Mobile computing device?

Embedded computer add functionality to GPS systems, fuel injectors, air bags, anti-lock braking systems and environmental controls in cars. This same technology is moving into home electronics and common appliances as heating and cooling, light fixtures and sleep-number beds.

Computers are our Doctors:

From CAT scanners to MRI imagers, computers now play a major role in the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of all but the least common health care issues. Websites like WEB-M.D.com now offer Internet users aide to determine if a set of physical or mental conditions suggest a visit to ones family health care provider. In the operating room, computer-programmable devices are replacing the hands of surgeons.

Ethics and Issues:

Should "Big Brother" have the right to place the average law abiding citizen under intense surveillance as a matter of course? No. I feel such a practice violates the basic civil rights of American citizens to exercise the first amendment. Surveillance technology should be reserved for intense study and determent of foreign "hate and home-grown "supremacy" groups.

1 comment:

raygunrobot said...

Two thoughts: Yes, I think things will merge to the point you say, and beyond. The iPhione has its bugs, but its popularity convinces me that it's just the beginning...

And, I agree that computers are our doctors now. Doctors I know have said to me that the hardest thing they do is to correctly diagnose what is wrong with their patients, that thereis no replacement for listening to what the patient is saying, and really understanding what they mean. My own PCP seems to be pretty bad at this, and I've had that experience with other doctors, too. They have begun to rely on the machines to do the work for them, and just look at the results of the scans, tests, etc. One skin doctor even told me I could NOT be feeling what I was, in fact, feeling. She said it just was not so, and she'd run tests to see what else she could find. Do you think that the reliance on computers, which is not necessarily bad (after all, they can see things going on in our bodies more easily and sooner), will lead to even more doctors not listening? Because I kind of do. I hope it won't turn out that way, I'd like to think doctors would remember that each patient is an individual human, and not just a set of x-rays.